Central University of Kerala is one of the 16 Central Universities established under The Central Universities Act, 2009 (Parliament Act No. 25 of 2009). In January 2009, it started functioning from a transit campus in Vidyanagar, Kasaragod, with two academic programmes: MA in English and Comparative Literature, and MA in Economics.CU Kerala offers updated interdisciplinary syllabi in six postgraduate programmes and two integrated M.Phil./Ph.D. programmes in the Choice-Based Credit Semester System. It has state-of-the-art library and laboratory facilities. Internet and digital resources are freely available to students.
Central University of Kerala Programmes
University offers six Integrated MPhil/PhD Programmes and 10 MA/MSc Programmes in 10 departments under four schools.
|Languages and Comparative Literature||Comparative literature||Integrated MPhil/PhD (Comparative Literature)|
|MA (English & Comparative literature)|
|Linguistics||M.A. (Linguistics and language technology)|
|Global Studies||Economics||Integrated MPhil/PhD (Economics)|
|International Relations||MA(International Relations & political Science)|
|Biological Sciences||Biochemistry and Molecular Biology||Integrated MPhil/PhD (Biochemistry)|
|MSc (Biochemistry & Molecular Biology)|
|Genomic Science||Integrated MPhil/PhD (Genomics)|
|MSc (Genomic Science)|
|Animal Science||Integrated MPhil/PhD (Taxonomy)|
|MSc (Animal Science)|
|Plant Science||MSc (Plant Science)|
|Mathematical and Physical Sciences||Physics||Integrated MPhil/PhD (Physics)|
|Computer Science||MSc (Computer Science)|
|Energy , Environment & Earth Sciences||Environmental Sciences||MSc (Environmental Science)|
|Humanities & Social Sciences||Social Work||MSW(Master of Social Work)|
Candidates have to qualify entrance test of the university for admission in the programmes offered. Central Universities Common Entrance Test (CUCET) is the common entrance test of Central University of Kerala.
For more details about Entrance exams– http://www.cukerala.ac.in/posts/105
Based on their merit in the entrance examination, meritorious students will be awarded scholarships linked to the programme of study. All students admitted to the postgraduate programme will get financial support in the form of merit scholarship or merit-cum-means scholarship or boarding and lodging allowance ranging from ` 1000 to `1500 per month. Free-ships are also offered to deserving candidates. The continuation of the scholarships depends on attendance and satisfactory performance.
I– MA/MSc Programmes
Eligible candidates must:
- have completed undergraduate programme under 10+2+3 pattern from a recognized university or a foreign university recognized by the Association of Indian Universities.
- have an equivalent degree with not less than 55% marks or equivalent grade in the subject concerned for admission to PG programme in science, and an equivalent degree with not less than 50% or equivalent grade in the subject concerned for admission to PG programme in Humanities. (Relaxation up to 5% marks is granted to SC/ST candidates in the eligibility for admission.)
- be between 20-25 years on the date of admission.
II– MPhil/PhD programme
In the integrated MPhil/PhD programme, of the total six semesters, the first two semesters are designed and dedicated for the MPhil component. In the first semester, all research scholars will have to undertake a compulsory Course Work as stipulated by the University Grants Commission. No extension in the time-frame to complete the MPhil component is given under any circumstances. To move to the PhD phase of the programme, the student has to successfully complete the MPhil component. Those who fail to score the required grade in the MPhil will have to drop the programme after the MPhil phase. Immediately after the declaration of the result of the MPhil component, the PhD phase will start. Four semesters are dedicated for the PhD programme. The minimum time limit to complete the PhD phase of the programme is two years. The maximum time limit for the completion of the PhD phase is four years from the date of approval of synopsis for PhD.
Fee Structure of Programmes Offered By Central University of Kerala
MA /MSc Programmes
|Registration fee||One Time||200|
|Matriculation fee||One Time||100|
|Recognition/Eligibility fee||One Time||100|
|Caution Deposit for Library/Laboratory||One Time (refundable)||1000|
|Identity card fee||Per Programme||50|
|Tuition fee||Every Semester||600|
|Examination fee||Every Semester||250|
|Examination fee for Practical oriented subjects||Every Semester||300|
|Course Registration fee||Every Semester||100|
|Library fee||Every Semester||250|
|Laboratory fee (where applicable)||Every Semester||600|
|Students Welfare Fund||Every Year||50|
|Sports fee||Every Year||100|
|Medical Examination fee||Every Year||50|
|Alumni Association Fund||Final Semester||100|
|Consolidated mark sheet fee||End of the Programme||100|
|Magazine fee||Every Year||50|
|Migration Fee||For joining the University and for leaving the University||300|
|University Development Fund||One Time||500|
Facilities in Central University of Kerala
- Hostels– There are limited seats in the hostels and the rooms are allotted on first come basis. Separate women’s and men’s hostels are available for students attending classes in both Vidyanagar and Riverside campuses.In order you want rooms in hostel you have to take hostel form provided at the time of admission and submit the duly filled in application to the Office of the Dean of Students. Two passport size photographs are to be submitted to the office of the Dean of Students at the time of hostel admission.
- Guest Houses
- Library- The University Library, Central University of Kerala is a centre of information for the academic community of the University and is expected to be developed into a hub of knowledge to all the academic community and a gateway to national and global knowledge.An Internet connection with 8Mbps speed has been installed in the Library and is provided to the users through the Wi-Fi network in the Library. It is fully air conditioned
Central University of Kerala Academic details
Central University of Kerala Results and Notifications -http://www.cukerala.ac.in/admissions
Job Opportunity– http://www.cukerala.ac.in/job_opportunity
Central University of Kerala Location
Central University of Kerala is situated in Nayanmar Moola, 5 km away from Kasaragod town , the north-western coastal district of Kerala. Often called the ‘land of seven languages’ due to the linguistic diversity and cultural confluence here, this historical border district is the ideal seat for a higher education centre with an inter disciplinary, inter cultural vision. Its 12 rivers and stretches of forest add to its natural beauty. Climatically, Kasaragod gets enough rains during the monsoons, and is generally pleasant throughout the year; the place gets warmer only during March-May.